Although your goal is to eat Real Food, instead of relying on supplements, there are times when life is just too busy, and you need to grab a quick, nutritious meal, “on the go”.
Try this protein-packed green smoothie recipe, packed with “good carbs”, phytonutrients (good stuff in plants), anti-oxidants, high-quality protein, and healthy fats.
Protein-Packed Green Smoothie (5 mins prep time)
If, like me, you're busy in the morning with clients, kids, work, you can prepare some of the ingredients the night before, cutting down the preparation time to 2 mins.
Generally, I will rinse the kale or spinach and put it into the Nutri-Bullet cup the night before, along with half and avocado and half a banana. In the morning, all that is left is to add some frozen berries, almond milk, protein powder, top up with water and blitz.
You can then take it with you and drink it on the go. So, lack of time and being "busy" is no longer a valid excuse.
You will need the following ingredients, and equipment to enjoy this smoothie:
- High-powered, compact blender (I like the Nutri-Bullet, because it is awesome, quick to clean, and makes life easier)
- 2-3 scoops of Sun Warrior Classic Protein Powder (vanilla or chocolate)
- Raw Kale, Spinach or leafy greens (unless you have an under-active thyroid, in which case it is best to avoid raw cruciferous veggies)
- Large handful of organic or homegrown blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.
- Small squeeze of lemon juice (optional to neutralise the green veggie taste, which some people make a fuss about)
- Half an avocado
- Small chunk of peeled, raw root ginger (optional)
- Unsweetened Almond milk (optional)
- Half a banana (optionally increase to a whole banana if just after exercise)
- 1-2 tsp raw Almond Nut Butter (optional to bump up fat content and Meridian is a good brand)
- Filtered water
- Thoroughly wash the raw kale or spinach in a colander, and rinse the berries in clean water in a sieve. Set to one side and allow to drain
- Cut an avocado in half, leaving the stone in the other half to keep it fresh for later use
- Take the large cup from the Nutri-Bullet and fill about a quarter full with the kale or spinach
- Add half a banana, half an avocado, couple of good handfuls of berries (squash it all down if, like me, you always overfill the cup)
- Add 1-2 tsp of raw Almond butter, as desired, and a small squeeze of lemon juice
- Add a small chunk of raw root ginger (peeled and optional to taste)
- Add 150 ml of unsweetened Almond milk (optional, and you can just use water instead if preferred)
- Top up with filtered water to the max line on the cup
- Add 2-3 scoops of Sun Warrior Classic protein powder on top (16 g of protein per scoop means you need at least 2 for a meal. Don’t skimp)!!
- Screw on the blades / lid, and blend until thoroughly “smoothied”
- Unscrew blades, and enjoy at your desk, in the car, as a post workout shake…
You’ll probably need to experiment with ingredients to find the perfect recipe for you, so that you find something you really enjoy, and that is quick to make. Just remember to include plenty of good carbs, high-quality protein, and healthy fats for a balanced meal.
Be careful not to overfill the cup too much, as you’ll leave less room for water, and find that the smoothie is like cement, and hard to drink. In this situation, a spoon is best employed to transfer the smoothie to your mouth!
- See more at: http://www.thinkfoodmove.com/blog/613/protein-packed-green-smoothie/#sthash.SDjKdW4E.dpuf